“Le Plan rouge vif”: improving the judicial treatment of domestic violence
23 May 2023
On May 22, Congresswoman Emilie Chandler and Senator Dominique Verien submitted to the government the "Plan Rouge Vif", a report on the judicial treatment of domestic violence. The 160-page report contains recommendations for improving the justice system and victim protection.
The state of play of intrafamily violence in France: responding to an alarming situation and a failure of the Grenelle
In 2019, a Grenelle devoted to intrafamily violence was set up by the Government. Following a series of hearings, several measures and commitments had been taken to remedy feminicide and the insufficient protection of victims.
Four years later, the situation remains worrying:
- 122 women were killed by their spouses in 2021* ;
- One third of the women killed in 2021 had already been victims of violence and 74% of them had reported it to the police*;
- 47 feminicides occurred in 2023*.
The recommendations of the “Plan rouge vif” to fight against domestic violence
- Create specialized units for domestic violence within the 164 French courts;
- Create women’s centers in each department;
- To issue protection orders within 24 hours;
- Establish elected representatives to deal with domestic violence;
- Use the serious danger telephone more frequently;
- Reinforce the training of professionals in the field of child protection;
- Set up regular inter-institutional training sessions in order to share practices and acquire a common knowledge;
- Create an interministerial fund dedicated to the financing of the public policy against domestic violence.
Source* : Rapport Parlementaire sur les violences intra familiales : quelles pistes pour en finir avec les féminicides (radiofrance.fr)